This 52-week program will prepare Vocational Nurse students for entry-level positions leading to careers or career advancement in a variety of health care facilities. It includes 714-hours of clinical experiences that must be completed prior to graduation and will provide the hands-on training necessary to competently enter the field of nursing. Vocational Nurses work under the supervision of a licensed physician or Registered Nurse, providing services to patients and clients of all ages who have impairments, functional limitations, disabilities, or changes in physical function and health status. The U.S. Department of Labor has projected an increase in VN jobs of 11% for 2018-2028. This is supported by the continued growth in our geriatric population and those with chronic medical conditions.
If you are interested in finding our more about our Vocational Nurse Program, please provide your contact information below and one of our admissions staff will contact you.
What qualities do you need to be a successful VN?
- Compassion. Licensed vocational nurses must be empathetic and caring toward the people they serve.
- Detail Oriented. VNs need to be responsible and detail oriented, because they must make sure that patients get the correct care at the right time.
- Interpersonal Skills. Interacting with patients and other healthcare providers is a big part of their jobs.
- Patience. Dealing with sick and injured people may be stressful. VNs should be patient, so they can cope with any stress that stems from providing care to these patients.
- Physical Stamina. VNs should be comfortable performing physical tasks, such as bending over patients for a long time.
- Speaking Skills. It is important that VNs communicate effectively. For example, they may need to relay information about a patient’s current condition to a registered nurse.
U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
What do VNs do?
- Monitor patient’s health
- Administer basic patient care, including changing bandages, inserting catheters
- Provide for the basic comfort of the patient such as bathing, dressing, assisting with feeding
- Maintain records on patients’ health
- Administer patient medications
Where do VN's work?
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Outpatient Clinics
- Correctional Facilities
- Doctors Offices
- Dialysis Centers
- Psychiatric/Behavioral Health Facilities
- Home Health Care
Application screening includes:
- Documentation of a High School Diploma/GED
- Proof of a current California Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) certification or Clinical Medical Assisting Certificate or Medical Assisting Certificate
- Passing minimum score of 75 on the HESI entrance exam
- Passing minimum score of 19 on the Wonderlic SLE entrance exam
- Submission of a 150-word essay expressing desire to become an LVN titled:
- “Why I want to be a nurse”
- Successful passing of a back-ground check
- Felony and misdemeanor convictions may also constitute grounds for denial of licensure. Applicants with any questions or concerns about this policy are advised to contact the Director of Nursing at 925 757 2900
- Successful passing of a drug screen
- Successful passing of a physical examination and proof of required immunity status
- Interview with the Director of Nursing for final approval to enter the program
Highly recommended courses:
- Intro to Human Anatomy & Physiology 3.0 credits
- College Reading and Writing 4.0 credits
- Pre-Algebra 3.0 credits
- Medical Terminology 3.0 credits
Total Fees paid to Institution
- Registration Fee: $200.00 (non-refundable)
- Tuition:$27,450.00 (refundable)
- HESI Entrance exam: $50.00 (non-refundable) *applied towards registration fee, if eligible.
- wonderlic exam: $0.00
- STRF Fee: $13.50 (non-refundable)
Students are also responsible for the following fees NOT paid directly to Institution
- Uniform/shoes: $100.00 (non-refundable)
Background check / Drug Screen: No fee
- bvnpt Application: $220.00 (non-refunbable)
- pearson vue administrator: $200.00 (non-refundable)
- fingerprint FBI, DOJ: $49.00 (non-refundable)
- Fingerprint site approximately: $45.00