CARES ACT Announcement & Acknowledgement
On April 9, 2020, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos announced the U.S. Department of Education was making immediately available to all Title IV postsecondary institutions approximately 6.2 billion dollars for students impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic and authorized in Sec. 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”). One section of the CARES Act established the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). The purpose of this funding is to provide grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the Coronavirus pandemic (including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare, and childcare).
On April 11, 2020 Contra Costa Medical Career College (CCMCC) signed and returned the required Certification and Agreement to the Department of Education acknowledging our intent to use no less than 50% of the funds received of the CARES Act funds to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
CCMCC has received $103,090 for the purpose of disbursing Emergency Grants to our students. With awards of $610 based on the selection criteria as established by the U.S. Department of Education.
Reporting as of July 9, 2020
As stated above Contra Costa Medical Career College was allocated $103,090 from the Department of Education pursuant to the Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
As of June 1, 2020, CCMCC processed 169 awards and funds were disbursed to each student in the amount of $610.
Student selection was based on Pell Grant and Title IV eligibility using the following criteria:
- Must have been required to move to an online classroom environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as of March 13, 2020, or;
- Externship was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Must be U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen
- Must have a valid Social Security Number
- Must have a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Males must be registered for Selective Service
- Must be enrolled in a Title IV Eligible Program (Medical Assisting with Phlebotomy, Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology)
All eligible students who qualified for CARES funding were notified via email notification.
Notification of the CARES Act funding was posted at ccmcc.edu under the General Information heading on May 28, 2020