CARES ACT Announcement & Acknowledgement
On April 9, 2020, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos announced the U.S. Department of Education (“Department”) was making immediately available to all Title IV postsecondary institutions approximately $6.2 billion for students impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic and authorized in Sec. 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”). One section of the CARES Act established the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). The purpose of this funding is to provide grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the Coronavirus pandemic (including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare, and childcare).
On April 11, 2020 Contra Costa Medical Career College (CCMCC) signed and returned the required Certification and Agreement to the U.S. Department of Education acknowledging our intent to use no less than 50% of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
CCMCC has received $103,090 for the purpose of disbursing Emergency Grants to our students, with awards of $610 for each eligible student based on the selection criteria as established by the U.S. Department of Education.
Student selection will be based on Title IV federal financial aid eligibility using the following criteria:
- Must have been required to move to an online classroom environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic, or;
- Externship was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Must be U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen
- Must have a valid Social Security Number
- Must have a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Males must be registered for Selective Service
- Must be enrolled in a Title IV Eligible Program (Medical Assisting with Phlebotomy, Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology as of March 13, 2020)
- Must be in Active enrollment status at the time of disbursement
All eligible students who qualify for CARES funding will receive an email notification.